One of the most common conditions rapidly affecting individuals today is High Blood Pressure. Surveys estimate some 1 billion people worldwide suffer from some form of elevated blood pressure. High blood pressure is most commonly found to be associated with other diseases (in many cases very severe) such as kidney failure, heart failure and stroke.
When left untreated, high bp can lead to severe and even fatal results. Although in many cases it is nearly impossible to determine the cause of high blood pressure, there are various ways of managing hypertension involving both medicinal treatment and/or lifestyle modifications. Some common lifestyle changes are weight reduction, change in dietary habits, regular exercise.
Although lifestyle modifications are often considered the more organic approach to maintaining high blood pressure, not everyone can make those lifestyle changes and hence medicinal treatment is often the considered option.
Medicinal treatment uses agents belonging to drug classes like beta blockers, thiazide diuretics, ACE and ARBs to manage hypertension. Nebivolol Hydrochloride is a third-generation beta blocker that has been inspected and approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of hypertension or increased blood pressure.
Nebivolol can be used alone or in a combination with variety of other medications to treat hypertension. It belongs to a type of medication known as beta blockers. Beta blockers relax blood vessels as well as lowers the heart rate in order to increase the flow of blood and thus decrease the blood pressure.
Nebivolol Hydrochloride manufacturers comes in the form of a tablet to be taken by mouth. It can be taken with or without food, one tablet a day. It is important to note here that Nebivolol hydrochloride should be taken only after discussion with your doctor or a pharmacist and should not be taken more than the amount prescribed. If dosage needs to be increased, Nebivolol hydrochloride dosage should be increased slowly, as much as once in every two weeks.
Dosage starts at 5mg, and may be increased gradually to a maximum of 40mg daily, if initial BP isn’t controlled by the initial dosage given.
Beta blockers are usually categorized into two types of beta receptors; selective and non-selective. Nebivolol can be considered both depending on the medicinal concentration given. At concentrations below 10mg, it acts as beta1 selective however when given in higher concentrations, it becomes non selective in nature and blocks both beta1 and beta 2 receptors.
While testing pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of nebivolol hydrochloride, it was observed that the absorption of nebivolol is quiet similar in nature to that of an oral solution and that presence or absence of food does not alter the medicines’ kinetic profile. Hence nebivolol hydrochloride maybe taken with or without regards to meals.
FDA’s clinical efficacy tests concluded that nebivolol hydrochloride was safe and effective for patients with a mild to moderate case of hypertension.
- Nebivolol Hydrochloride should not be taken by patients suffering from overt heart failure. Consultation with doctor is highly suggested before starting this medication if you suffer from any type of cardio vascular illness.
- Should not be administered to patient who has undergone major surgery as Nebivolol Hydrochloride has risks when paired with general anesthesia.
- Should not be used on patience suffering from bronchospasm or any other type of bronchospastic disease.
- Patience suffering from anaphylactic reactions to allergens could induce challenges while taking beta blockers. Consumption of beta blockers can hinder the effect of epinephrine and such patience might not respond to usual dosages of epinephrine.
- Consultation with doctor highly advised if you are pregnant or are trying to get pregnant.
- Not to administered/used in case of breast feeding.
- Consumption of Nebivolol Hydrochloride and Trifluoperazine Hydrochloride might adversely affect Urinal retention.
Nebivolol Hydrochloride is an excellent deterrent to control high blood pressure and hypertension however like all medicines, Follow the nebivolol hydrochloride manufacturers guideline and should be taken it after consultation with medical personnel and at a recommended dosage.